Immigration in Colombia
For instance, since December 2017, the country reduced the Colombian types of visas for foreigners to only three; this in order to simplify the more than twenty possibilities that existed before that date.
The granting of these Colombia visas now will merely depend on the visit purpose.
Immigration to Colombia
General requirements to obtain the Colombia residency:
- Application form
- Copy of passport page where the personal information is
- Copy of the passport page where you have the last entry or exit stamp from Colombia, as appropriate
- Copy of the most recent and updated visa (if requested before)
- A certificate or a legal document stating your occupation in Colombia and your income source
- Photograph (passport size): white background, 3x4cms, jpg format, max. 300KB
- Certificate of migratory movements issued by the Colombian Migration Department
- Payment of approximately $50.00 USD
Colombia Visa Requirements and Types
Visitor Visa or V Type
This type of visa has been exclusively created for temporary visitors (for a special event or a short visit, for example). It can be issued for a maximum of 2 years.
Migrant Visa or M type
The migrant type visa is for foreigners who are planning to move permanently to Colombia and have one of the following statuses:
- Married to a Colombian citizen
- Foreigners with a stable job in the country
- Foreigners looking for refuge
People requesting this type of Colombian visa do not meet all the necessary requirements to apply for the Colombia resident visa type so this is their best option. The validity of this document is for a maximum of three years.
Resident Visa or R type
This Colombian visa is for foreigners who plan to permanently live in Colombia; its validity is unlimited. However, there are a few more requisites to apply for this visa:
- Two uninterrupted years living in the country, or
- Being the parent or permanent partner (spouse) of a Colombian citizen.
*** Colombia Beneficiary Visa: this type of visa will be issued to the immediate family or the economic dependents of the main holder of a visa Type “M” or “R” (in some particular cases, this will also apply for visitors visas).